In response to the COVID-19 changes in grading policy (“P” grades), Media Studies has modified its major application requirements temporarily.
Media Studies Application Packet – Fall 2020
There are two application periods in fall 2020.
* August 19 through 11:59 p.m. on September 4 (Recommended)
* September 28 through 11:59 p.m. on October 9
Below are the pre-COVID–19 application instructions and requirements.
You are eligible to apply to Media Studies after you have completed:
(a) Media Studies 10 (or equivalent*) for a letter grade.
(b) at least two of the remaining three prerequisites. The fourth prerequisite may be in progress at the time of your application; it must be successfully completed by the end of the term in which you apply.
If you have not fulfilled these requirements, you are not eligible to apply. You have only one opportunity to apply to Media Studies. Admission decisions are final.
*PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in Fall 2020, all students planning to declare the Media Studies major MUST complete Media Studies 10 or N10 at UC Berkeley.
* PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in Spring 2021, students must earn a B- or better in Media Studies 10. See Standard Application below.
There are two types of applications:
(1) Standard Application
Students who meet the following criteria can submit a Standard Application:
- You have completed Media Studies 10 (or equivalent) and at least 2 of the 3 remaining prerequisites.
- You have completed 70 or fewer units (excluding AP units, community college units earned while in high school or excess P.E. units–over four–earned at Cal) at the time of application to the major.
- You have a minimum GPA of 3.2 in courses applicable to the major. This includes lower division prerequisite and methods courses, upper division electives and the equivalency of transferred course work. Core courses–Media Studies 111/112/113–are to be taken after Media Studies 10 has been completed. If any core courses are completed before applying to the major, the grades for those courses will be included in the application GPA.
- Beginning in spring 2021, you must have earned a B- or better in Media Studies 10 (or equivalent). This does not apply to fall 2020 major applicants and begins with spring 2021 major applicants.
(2) Appeal Application
If you have completed more than 70 units, have less than a B- in Media Studies 10* and/or have less than a 3.2 GPA in Media Studies courses, you will need to submit an Appeal Application. An Appeal Application includes the standard application forms along with a cover letter regarding interest in the major and reason appeal is necessary. Additional documentation may be requested if needed. Appeal applications are reviewed by the faculty.
Applications to the major are accepted in the fall and spring semesters, not during the summer. There are three application periods each semester. Students are encouraged to apply during the first application period after meeting eligibility requirements. Application packets are available on the Media Studies home page and on the bulletin board outside the Media Studies office, 239 Evans Hall. See the application packets for additional details.